HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

A Colony

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Capsha

PostSubject: A Colony   Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:03 am

I haven't come across this type of discussion much within the otherkin community and I have a feeling that it's sort of considered somewhat of a taboo. It's also not an idea I think could work flawlessly, though it seems like fun!

Some people have raised the question of whether or not there should be otherkin colonies. For people who identify as a specific type of otherkin (eg a street/town/house of dragons) or more general than that. These towns would be almost self-sufficient and only be made up of those who identify as otherkin. Sure, it seems like a good idea but there seems like a lot of different problems with it.

-What if someone decides they don't want to be part of the community anymore?
-What if someone only wants to stay for a short while?
-What if someone stops identifying as otherkin?
-What if someone wants to get married and have kids: who aren't otherkin?
-It would be expensive to begin with
-It would welcome discrimination: "hey, look, that's the town of people who think they're tigers!"

What do other people think about it? Is it too much of a cult for your liking? Would you want to live in a place with others like you?

~Capsha
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.kemetic-claudia.blogspot.com
Ishtahar
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A Colony   Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:25 pm

In the restrictive way it put forward i think it would be dangerous, unbalanced and self destructive.

Most otherkin want to be with others like them but not to shun those who aren't. If they do they're hypocrites. You can't say - i want to be accepted by you, then say I'm not going to accept you.

A colony of otherkin sounds like a lovely idea, if it is inclusive. If it's exclusive ie we only take tigers or dragons then it's dangerous. it suggests and promotes elitism and conceit.

In a proper colony none of your questions would be an issue. you want to leave? You leave. You're a dragon who wants to marry a tiger? go ahead and we'll welcome the tiger in if they want. if you want to stay a while, welcome we can learn from you and you from us.

What you are describing is a cult not a colony and definitely not something i'd welcome or encourage.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sariel

PostSubject: Re: A Colony   Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:27 am

If we segregate ourselves out, we steal all the work from those who would seek to force us to do it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ishtahar
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A Colony   Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:02 am

Nice one. That made me think for a minute
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Colony   

Back to top Go down

A Colony