HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Zagreus

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
WickedRestless

WickedRestless

Zagreus Empty
PostSubject: Zagreus   Zagreus EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 12:55 am

Just in case anyone has anything to put here...
Back to top Go down
Remiel

Remiel

Zagreus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zagreus   Zagreus EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 2:05 am

Old post is old, but I have not been here in a long time, either.

I have very regular, daily interactions with the Cretan deity, Zagreus. If that is who the original poster is referring to. I am not sure if someone was looking for information or what, but wanted to throw that out there.
Back to top Go down
Ishtahar
Admin
Ishtahar

Zagreus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zagreus   Zagreus EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 8:13 pm

Zagreus. All of a sudden when I read your post I got the very strong impression I know that name, at least I used to at some time. Nothing more than that.

Could you give me any more information?
Back to top Go down
Remiel

Remiel

Zagreus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zagreus   Zagreus EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 9:54 pm

Most people who know of the name Zagreus know of him in relation to Dionysus - a version of him that was torn to pieces as a baby by the titans in the Orphic mysteries. Dionysus was born again with his new name as a twice-born god.

But he was actually a proto-Greek deity of ancient Crete (the Minoans), a primary god who caught live animals in traps to render and consume raw. His first mention in Greek literature was as the highest of all gods, and later was equated with both Zeus and Hades.

It is hard to say much more, because a lot of my information is experiential to the point that the lore and my own interactions have bled together. Also because a lot of it is theoretical due to the lack of translated primary documents.

So it would take me a bit of research to source this in lore, but I tend to link Zagreus with the myths of the Minotaur, and Ariadne, as well as Britomartis. Labyrinths, and figs; wildness, and walking the borders of madness. Masks, and maybe most of all - zoe, a word that is an etymological root for his name and relates to life.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Zagreus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zagreus   Zagreus Empty

Back to top Go down

Zagreus
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Shadow of the Fallen Website :: Remeniscences :: Names-
Jump to: