HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

On the Sidhe

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Ogygian

Ogygian

On the Sidhe Empty
PostSubject: On the Sidhe   On the Sidhe EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 10:57 pm

I copied this from some otherkin site i found the other day, as i deem the information close to true history.

I welcome your opinions.

Quote :
HISTORY: The Sidhe are the remnant of what was at one time two races: the Tuatha de Danaan, and the Fomorii.

The Tuatha de Danaan did not originate in Ireland; rather, they came from another place, possibly another plane of existence entirely. Some of the speculations I have heard while collecting stories about them are that they were the survivors of Atlantis, that they were Minoan, and that they were from another planet. I tend to feel the Atlantis theory has the most credibilty, but the reader should be advised that I do not present this as a fact, only as what seems to me from my own knowledge to make the most sense.

To properly tell of the Sidhe I must begin with the two races. The Tuatha de Danaan were not the first wave of this race to come to the shores of what is now Ireland. Earlier waves had preceeded them, and some had survived while others had perished in a plague, the nature of which was lost since nobody survived and the only witnesses were the small band of primitive tribal peoples then inhabiting the land, who later came to be called Firbolg. When the Tuatha de Danaan (whose name means "People of Dana") arrived, they moved upon the land and met the Firbolg in what came to be called the first battle of Moigh Tuireadh (Moytura). They established dominance over the land and the Firbolg in the fifth wave of the "Invasions(1)". Rather than go into detail here on the battle, I will instead refer you to the links listed at the bottom of this writing, they contain info on the specifics.

Having established a seat of governance at Tara, they brought with them four great artifacts, one each from the four great Cities of their home lands. From Murias was brought the great Cauldron of the Dagda, who is a sort of father/elder figure among the Danaans. From Gorias was brought the Spear of Lugh, from Findias the Sword of Nuada and from Falias the Lia Fail or "Stone of Destiny"(2).

Rather then engage in a lengthy discussion of the key events surrounding the Danaan occupancy of Ireland, I will instead provide mythological links which do tell the story in reasonably accurate detail(3). I have also included a list of suggested reading materials, all of which I have determined are available online.

In time, the sixth wave of the Invasions, the Milesians, came and displaced the Tuatha de Danaan. This was not done in a cruel manner; rather the Milesians were honorable opponents and gracious in victory. They made the defeated Danaans welcome and one of thier number, the bard Amhairghin, even spent some time living among them. In the end, however, the Danaans grew to understand that the time of Man was ascendant and that it was time for them to leave. They withdrew into a realm beyond, through the barrows where they created the gateways into their underhill dwellings. These barrows were called "sidhe" in the language of the Milesians, which means "mounds". The Danaans came to be known as the Daoine Sidhe, or People of the Mounds. Over time this was shortened to just Sidhe. Thus, the Sidhe are what is left of the once-proud people of ancient Ireland, the Tuatha de Danaan.

APPEARANCE: Physically, the Sidhe are an extremely tall race, ranging from six-and-a-half to over seven feet tall. Body types can vary but they are generally of solid, muscular build. Generally fair-skinned, some clans which intermarried heavily with the Fomorii do have dark skinned individuals. Facial features tend to be strong and well-defined yet delicate, with high cheekbones, narrow, pointed chins, somewhat slanted eyes and straight, aquiline noses. Hair and eye color come in all the same ranges as humans, however yellow and lavender eyes are also common, as is silver or pale lavender/blue hair. The eyes are slit-pupilled and ears are small (human-sized, not Elfquest-elf sized) and curved up into a very slight tendency towards points.

CULTURE: During their Golden Age following the Invasion, the Danaans were a warrior race. They were not simply savage barbarians, however; Danaan culture was very evolved and the Danaans possessed technology. Rather, they were a highly evolved and very old warrior culture with very specific customs, rules and laws, and their warlike tendencies were an outgrowth of their generally passionate nature. The Danaans were also accomplished in the arts and were a very learned race. The great Cities of the Danaan homeland were centers of vast knowledge of the arts, sciences and architecture and while they never reached the same pinnacle of civilization after coming to Ireland they did leave behind them a legacy of art and knowledge among the Milesians, teachings which formed the foundation of Irish Celtic culture for centuries to follow. Sidhe culture in the Tir now echoes the former glory of the Great Cities, but the Sidhe are a reclusive and complex people now, seldom given to interaction with the world Above. They remain a curious and restless people, leading many of them to incarnate in the here-now.

MAGIC AND RELIGION: These are not separate things to the Sidhe. The Sidhe creation mythos teach that they were born of the union between the great Creatrix (Dana) and the stars themselves, and that the energies of magic and immanence (connection to Deity) are inseparable forces that run through every living thing. What is unique in the Sidhe worldview is just what constitutes "living". Everything in the Sidhe cosmology is a living thing, even rocks and handmade objects are believed to retain living essences of the things they once were. Thus, magic inhabits everything from the majestic redwoods and the magnificent big cats of Africa to the sand along the beach and the chair in your dining room. Nevertheless, the Sidhe relationship to Deity is not one of "worshiper and worshipee" but rather that of children seeking to learn and grow so that they will be in greater tune with the parent. The Sidhe consider the God and Goddess to be present, immanent and welcoming and as such approach prayer and commune with Deity conversationally rather than in supplication. Sidhe religion also does not teach that Darkness and Light are cosmic opposites in contention but rather in balance, and that the good must balance with the bad to create the whole in balance.

POLITICS AND GOVERNMENT: At one time, the Sidhe had a sort of enlightened monarchy with an elected king who was not so much a ruler as a leader, more information can be had among the provided links. Currently, the Sidhe do not adhere to any sort of top-down managed formal political structure. Rather, it is a sort of benign anarchy, with a sort of loose-knit and rather informal council that acts as intermediary between the various Houses. Other than that, everyone pretty much does their own thing, makes their own arrangements and it all sort of hangs together somehow.
Back to top Go down
Ashtart

Ashtart

On the Sidhe Empty
PostSubject: Re: On the Sidhe   On the Sidhe EmptySat Mar 23, 2013 2:01 am

Those are some interesting opinions of where the Sidhe come from and who they are. It's always sat a bit off with me. It seems that this sort of history is mixing together the history of various people - The Sidhe, the Tuatha de Danaan, human races, and the descendents of the Grigori (Nephilym). the physical description of the Sidhe as (generally) very tall is accurate but as a type of being they lived all over this world and did not have set physical characteristics beyond that. They appeared in many many different ways to many different people. At their essence they are merely beings of light, i.e. "The Shining Ones" and don't have a humanlike physical appearance at all. It takes a lot of time and practice to create a set physical appearance.

The invasions of Ireland seem to me like human activities, or maybe human/Nephilym. The half-human descendents looking for new homes after being cast out from their old homes.

I agree that the four cities exist in Faery and have done vision quests to those places.

I'm not sure about the "mounds" but I wonder if that is the legend that sprung up when the fae disappeared from this plane of existence when the Gates were closed.

Interesting share.
Back to top Go down
Ogygian

Ogygian

On the Sidhe Empty
PostSubject: Re: On the Sidhe   On the Sidhe EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 4:11 am

Yes i thought so too.
I think it's good to learn from all earth lore, myth, history etc, in better understanding who these mysterious entities are.
for example in ireland you find the tuathe de danann, in cannan you find the didanites(rephaim), in india you find the danavas and nagas, greece you find the titanos and gigantes. To me, all these names are mere dialects denoting the same band of entites, who were historic divinities in their own right.
They are the descendants of the daughters, sons, and its, of the primordial creatrix Mother Danu or of the Mother Herself. She is known by many names across this planet but some of these are Nammu, Tiamat, Dhumavati, Kali Ma, Yemaya, Gaia, Cailleach, and surely others i have yet to come across.

She was the mother of those called the Annunaki, but the Annunaki betrayed Her. From what i know, that was the begining of the wars against the Titans, Giants, and Dragons, etc who are Her children too.
Those that survived and were not banished or enslaved by gods, formed sercretive clans or councils --THOSE WHO HONOR THE GREAT MOTHER GODDESS in contrast to many Nephilim and ever increasing number of Sapiens --THOSE WHO HONOR THE ANNUNAKI. Over time the offspring bred with the nephilm and sapiens lost their ancient physical appearances, and ability to shapeshift(mostly) and were able to blend in with the rest of the world, though i see double rows of teeth, six fingers, red hair, and horns to have been some physical remants.

There were also many who survived of the clans of the Great Mother who were aflicted by atomic radaition from the weapons of the gods leaving them deformed and mutated, but They regenerated enough to still be considered divinities of great power.

Seems the bands kept to the council/clan name associated with DAN, at least those above the depths, as far as i know. In time, battle was wrought by gods, amongst those others of the children of the divine Mother. They seperated into two different councils, one still loyal to the great Mother, the other more alligned with the conquering gods.

Perhaps They are merly beings of light.. So are you, and everyone else here, so are plants and animals, so is this planet, this solar system, this galaxy, this universe, these multiverses, and so forth Very Happy
I like to think when the Sidhe and other beings are deemed ''The Shinning Ones'' this refers to Their radaition of a supureme force of prana, bioelectricity, or/and some other vital energy. Many angels, monks and saints are dipicted as having shinning halos above their heads, and to me this signifies their enlightenment and spiritual attainments, which would cause them to shine(quite literally).

It is worthy to ponder that sapiens were spawned, taught, and endowed by those called Gods, Titans, or other primordial Entities. Thus, much of what people know, are, and can be, is due to higher life forms, but those higher lifeform were and are still ''human'' or rather, no god is without animality, no animal without humanity, and no man without a part of divinity.

I haven't put much thought into the four cities, other than i wouldn't mind to visit them and train jocolor
I am interested in your trance-work, if ever you would tell me about it sometime.

As to mounds, i see them as;
connection to tunnels that lead to subterreanean realms. holy graveyards; to connect with the Spirit's and their relams. astrological alignments; for a bygone techology,
depending on the mound of course.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

On the Sidhe Empty
PostSubject: Re: On the Sidhe   On the Sidhe Empty

Back to top Go down

On the Sidhe
Page 1 of 1