HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

I Remain

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Azaz'el
Admin
Azaz'el

I Remain Empty
PostSubject: I Remain   I Remain EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 10:29 pm

I went to the cinema last night and saw the new Prince of Persia movie. I have to say that I loved the movie.... not just because of Jake Gyllenhaal ..... and it has nothing to do with the Shadow at all.

However, I was entranced by the Alanis Morissette song for the end titles. That is what spoke to me and made me want to share it here. It may be specific to just me, or maybe it is just a song that speaks to all hearts that are open. Here it is...

I Remain

Az
Back to top Go down
https://fallenshadow.darkbb.com
Scratch

Scratch

I Remain Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Remain   I Remain EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 4:24 am

Lovely! Thanks for sharing.

Not only was Alanis one of the voices in the soundtrack of my high school years (which I was revisiting quite a bit in memory today) those words spoke to some of the things which have been in my head recently. I'm somewhat surprised, and pleased, to see The Jagged Little Pill is still rocking... women tend to have short shelf-lives in the indie/pop market. I was curious about that movie, and have heard good things from several people now. My interest has quite a bit to do with Jake Gyllenhaal. Wink

Here's a much more somber favorite, that something is telling me to respond in kind with. It seems to remind me of things, and I love this band.
Silver and Cold
Back to top Go down
Ashtart

Ashtart

I Remain Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Remain   I Remain EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 11:15 am

Lovely songs =). Alanis has a real haunting way about her voice, and I'm glad to hear that the emotion is starting come out through her songs again (there was an album somewhere after "supposed former infatuation junkie" where it really went away). What about the song spoke to you? As I read the lyrics, it seemed like she could have been talking to a couple of people... I didn't understand what the song was ultimately about.

Scratch, I like the song you posted, too. Definitely was down with the old European town setting of the video. ::wants that castle::. I find a lot of the time that when I listen to music, it's less the lyrics that I listen to and more the melody of the song itself. I know it's strange, there's always been certain songs and song types that grab me, and then it seems like the melody has a voice of its own... and the singing becomes part of that melody. This song did that for me... I was trying to hear what the message of the song was, it was very lovely though. ....Also, the lead singer of AFI is quite a hunk. =D
Back to top Go down
Azaz'el
Admin
Azaz'el

I Remain Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Remain   I Remain EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 10:28 pm

Jagged Little Pill is still one of my favourite albums and I have listened to it so many times over the years. It is good to hear a song that seems to encompass the strength of emotion that she used to fill her music with.

In many ways the song spoke as it just highlighted memories of my time with Dan........ my initial reactions to him, ignoring his interest and his advances and then, over time, realising how the flames of love and passion had been ignited and how safe he made me feel. Maybe it's not the lyrics, maybe it's the music or maybe it's just something that had been used as a focus by my mind and heart to allow me to touch upon our memories. My mind has been flooded today with memories of my time with Dan, reminders of all we did, all the love........ and joy and pain in equal measures.

Az
Back to top Go down
https://fallenshadow.darkbb.com
Scratch

Scratch

I Remain Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Remain   I Remain EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 7:13 am

That's beautiful, Az.

I know what you mean, Dream's. Since becoming a lyricist myself, I've become very attentive to the words of a song, but used to hardly hear them at all. Most of my favorite writers use abstraction to get to the heart of the matter, and I think these two are prima examples of that. The best songs take me places; into spaces created with sound and meaning.
Back to top Go down
Ishtahar
Admin
Ishtahar

I Remain Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Remain   I Remain EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 9:49 pm

*Shiver*

I LOVE Alanis and that was quite spooky
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

I Remain Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Remain   I Remain Empty