HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

ARCHIVE: Books?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Archive

PostSubject: ARCHIVE: Books?   Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:44 am

From Dreamsend 13 May 2009

Favorite books? Recommendations?

I recommend "The Celestine Prophecy". I also got a lot of help when I was younger by reading "Spirit Guides and Angel Guardians" by Richard Webster, (it basically led me into seeing myself as otherkin, indirectly... a meditation I did from that book was revelatory). Hahahah, biggrin.gif Don't laugh at me, I know I know...

My favorites are "The Hobbit", "Taiko", and "Druids" (by Morgan Llewellyn). "Druids" opened up a whole new way for me of seeing how faith and earth-based faith could exist in the world (I used to refer to it as "*my* Bible", lol... in comparisons of spiritual books that guide us. It wasn't written to be that, but that's what it became). It takes place in pre-Roman Gaul... "historical fiction". "Taiko" is also historical fiction. That was recommended to me when I started developing an interest in military strategy... *coff*non-megalomaniacal*coff*

What are the best books that you've ever read? The ones that really shaped your life or opened your eyes up to new ways of living and seeing?

And what are you favorite fiction? I love the good adventure stories.

From Fate 13 May 2009

I don't read a lot of fiction, but I do have book suggestions, and then some...

Fiction
Ophelia and Abby mysteries (two hereditary witches)

Anne Rice anything, but esp The Mayfair Witch and first three Vampire Chronicles books, as well as Memnoch the Devil and Merrick

Non-Fiction
The Christ Conspiracy: The Greatest Story Ever Sold (the first book where I found out all the links between Paganism and Christianity

Green Witchcraft Series (I: Green Witchcraft: Folk Magic, Fairy Lore & Herb Craft, II: Balancing Light & Shadow, III: Green Witchcraft III: The Manual, Grimoire for the Green Witch: A Complete Book of Shadows)

Darkness Visible

The Dark Archetype: Exploring the Shadow Side of the Divine

Crone's Book of Charms & Spells

A Complete Guide to Night Magic

The Moon Watcher's Companion: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About the Moon, and More

Crystal Balls & Crystal Bowls: Tools for Ancient Scrying & Modern Seership

Remembering Well: Rituals For Celebrating Life and Mourning Death

And if you really get bored, here is my list of non-fiction Craft, Mary, and other Pagan titles that I own: http://fatesthread.librarything.com/catalog/Fatesthread

From Dreamsend 13 May 2009

Cool, I will check some of those out! Long book list you got there... another reader! Yay! I held off and posted only a few books but I have quite the library too XD

I will def. have to grab that Ophelia book and The Dark Archetype, those sound yummy.

From Razi'el 13 May 2009

i would have to say that one i read a long time ago really hit home for me... The Dark Side of Nowhere by Neal Shusterman. it's oddly similar to the things i was going through around my earlier teenage years...

another one that was positively bizarre, yet very fun to read, was a book called Psycho Shop, written by Alfred Bester and Roger Zelazny.

two very strange and very interesting books, if i must say!~<3

Razi

From Ishtahar 13 May 2009

Fiction

Anything by Storm Constantine or Terry Pratchett.
The (I think it's called) Mortal Instruments trilogy by Cassandra Clare (and yes, I know they are for teenages but they talk about Nephylim and they are some of very few who do... and okay I just loved them.... they are kind of like Twilight only a million times better in every way.

Hobbit and LOTR

The Ann McCaffrey Pern books

The Mists of Avalon trilogy by Marion Bradley.

Mary Stewarts Arthurian trllogy whose name escapes me. I know one of them is called the Hollow Hills but it has been a long time since I read them

To Reign in Hell by Stephen something

THe Bible.... good for a laugh.

Non Fiction

Hege Witch by Rae Beth

The Mabin of the Mabinogion by Morien

The White Goddess by.... wassisname

The Druids by Stuart Piggott Smith.... only so I could laugh where he got it wrong.

The Jesus Scrolls.

That's all I remember for now.... I have read a lot of books. smile.gif

Ish
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Myth

PostSubject: Re: ARCHIVE: Books?   Sun May 02, 2010 9:43 pm

Okay, I have to sound off here even though this thread is in archives...

"Embraced by the Light" (and the sequel, "The Awakening Heart") by Betty Eadie. This book got me through a very difficult period in my life and may have saved my marriage. Sounds weird, but it was a really low point and it got me in touch with my Higher Power. Since then Near Death Experience literature has been a big interest of mine, so I also like the books by Dannion Brinkley - "Saved by the Light" and others. There's another one from the flip side where the person tried to commit suicide and went to "hell" or purgatory, but I can't remember the name of the book or the author. (I left most of my books in storage almost five years ago when we moved to Japan.) Basically, I'll read most anything NDE related, so I also like the work done by Raymond Moody.

I also love all the Harry Potter books, as they got me started writing again for pleasure (instead of school related... as I did two master's degrees back to back and had forgotten how much I needed to exercise my imagination). They also got me reading again for pleasure, purely from a child-like viewpoint.

The "Percy Jackson" series by Rick Riordan because they made me laugh out loud as an adult.

There are tons of books I have read and enjoyed at different times in my life.

"The Very Hungry Caterpillar" because that was my daughter's favorite; "The Big Red Barn" and "Chicka, Chicka Boom Boom!" because they were my son's favorites.

"My Many Colored Days" by Dr. Suess.

"The Velveteen Rabbit" because someone read it to a group of us in high school, and it was a message that hit home at the time. Becoming real happens gradually and starts on the inside... very profound.

"Hundred and One Dalmatians" because that was the first full chapter book that I ever read.

My childhood was full of books. My dad used to complain about taking me to the bookstore, yet he always bought me whatever I wanted because both my parents knew how important reading was to me. Yet I'd blow through them all, stacks of them, in a week or less and want more - or reread old favorites over and over again.

Others:

"The Little Princess" and "Secret Garden" by Frances Hodgson Burnett.

"The Black Stallion" series.

"Ballet Shoes" by Noel Streatfield.

A massive, somewhat boring book called "The Far Pavilions" because I bet a guy in seventh grade that I would finish it in a week, and I did. It was well over 1,000 pages paperback-sized. I liked the HBO miniseries much better!

"Little House on the Prairie" series by Laura Ingels Wilder.

The Bible, because it gave me a basis for my beliefs, good and bad. It is still one of the most influential books in my life and helped to shape who I am today.

So many nameless books that they all blur together and I can't remember titles... just the stories and the feelings they left in me. I can say that almost all of them taught me something, and continue to teach me... even as I write my own. I think I wrote elsewhere that instead of shoe shopping (like some women do compulsively) I buy books... simply because I love them. I have tons I haven't even read because I felt compelled to buy something. I can't seem to part with them either; they become like friends, and I feel like I'd be abandoning them if I gave them away. And if you borrow one, you'd better take care of it and give it back in the same condition! I was so upset when I loaned "Prince Caspian" to my best friend in 3rd grade. She scribbled all over it and pretty much destroyed it. That was #2 in a boxed set of CS Lewis books...! (On an aside, "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" was great at the time, but the rest of books in the series I really didn't even read until much later. Still, it was the principle of the matter!)

I can trace my life through the books that I have read. Some may say that I have lived vicariously through the characters, and they may be right. But for me, the experiences of the characters do become real. Human nature is a fascinating thing and books have shaped my understanding of people. I just love them, even the trashy romance novels. I won't even go there! Wink

Myth
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Veil

PostSubject: Re: ARCHIVE: Books?   Wed May 05, 2010 5:57 pm

By profession I am a librarian (or an MLIS student until Aug, but I've worked in libraries my whole life), so I do more than my fair share of reading. If I send in too many suggestions, let me know, but I am including this one since it is directly relevant to the forum. I have not read this book myself, it's hot off the presses... The Angelical Language, Volume I
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://thegrayveil.blogspot.com
Seraphyna

PostSubject: Re: ARCHIVE: Books?   Thu May 06, 2010 12:48 am

Non-fiction

Basically anything by Michelle Belanger or Lupa are high on my list. Also:

The Circle Within by Diane Sylvan
Witchcraft: Theory and Practice by Lye de Angeles
Daimonic Realities by Patrick Harpur
The Earth Path by Starhawk
Ecoshamanism by James Endredy

Fiction

Anything by Neil Gaiman, Kathy Reichs, and Laurell K. Hamilton. I'm also partial to the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini, and The Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice...and I like the Twilight Saga (don't hold it against me Razz). I could really go on and on about books I like...so here are a few:

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
Siddhartha by Herman Hesse
The Hot Zone by Richard Preston
Skin Game: A Memoir by Caroline Kettlewell
Autobiography of a Face by Lucy Grealy
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe
The Ice Queen by Alice Hoffman
The Princess Bride by William Goldman
The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien