HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Menehune

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Scratch

Scratch

Menehune Empty
PostSubject: Menehune   Menehune EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 10:07 am

For those of you who don't know, the Menehune are the legendary trickster spirits of Hawai'i. They are said to stand about 3 feet tall, be unrivaled stoneworkers, notorious thieves, and many other things I am sure. Some people call them Hawai'ian leprechauns, which may be accurate, if you look at the very old descriptions of wee folk.

As far as I can tell, I was visited by a band of them last night.

I was woken out of a dream, sometime late while it was still full dark, by something rustling the side of my tent. My first thought was of wild boars, which have been tearing up the plants here lately while grubbing and searching for water. I've heard them before, but this did not sound at all like them. It was a living sound, much different than twigs or leaves falling on my tent from the "tree cave" I'm set up in: it was not from above but on the side, near my head. It was deliberate, and didn't sound like anything trying to get in so much as something wanting my attention.

I made some rapid noises, that weren't exactly threatening, but would have startled away an animal. The rustling continued. I tried again, louder, then began feeling very uneasy. For the first time in over 4 months, I was fully aware of how completely vulnerable I was in my tent, that anything meaning me harm could come right in and have me at its mercy. I thought of going to the yurt on the property, but that wasn't good enough. Cities seem like sacrilegious obscenities on these islands, but suddenly I understood completely why they got built here: I wanted a place to barricade myself, preferably with a gun. Still, I knew on a gut level even that wouldn't help, and might only make things worse. Whatever this was, nothing like that could protect me from it.

Not knowing what else to do, I said "Please don't hurt me. I only want peace."

That was when it became truly menacing. Thoughts came that weren't my own, but were communicating with me. This is their home, they said. What right did I have to be here?

I felt like I was being called out, but also baited. Like someone wanted me to claim protection, invoke Pele, ask "Do you KNOW who I am?" Instead, I did my best attempt at the kind of chant Hawai'ians traditionally use to ask permission of local spirits. I do not speak the language, had no idea how a chant was supposed to go, but made no attempt to hide the clumsiness of it. I simply did my best to match the notes and sounds that were coming into my head, and repeat it until it felt satisfactory. After the 4th time, the rustling started again, but this time it was somehow friendly. It felt in my mind as if I had been jovially clapped on the back, and told that I will learn, if I want to.

After that, I was treated with respect. Information and images began to flood in. At times I could hear what might have been dogs, or roosters, but sounded a lot more like a number of voices raised. They were all shouting, but seemed organized, like at a sporting event or rock concert. They would all go off at once, continue for a while, then stop in unison. Each time they stopped, a different knot of tension I didn't realize I had would release itself somewhere in my body. Many times this happened, I would cry out and jerk, not from any pain, but surprise and relief.

At times I felt as if I had no energy left, to the point it became hard to breathe. The second time that happened, I moaned in response, then again a few minutes later. I was then told that the third time I made a sound, I would be dead. Despite having been told many times that will never happen, at that point I was so completely exhausted, mentally, emotionally, and physically, I could not bring myself to care. As far as I was concerned, it was a good night to die, so bring it on. I was told to not try to make a sound, that this could not be forced or rushed the way I always do when I get impatient. So, I let my breathing get slower and slower, strangely completely calm and trusting in this. Then I exhaled, and had nothing left to draw another breath. Suddenly I sat up, as if I'd been shocked, and drew a huge lungful of air. I felt completely opposite to how I'd felt a moment before: wide awake, alert, and revitalized, all my senses heightened. I let out a third moan, but this one was in pleasure. I felt the way I'd always imagined storybook vampires feel, after they change.

I kept getting told that the danger was over, and I could go back to sleep whenever I wanted. That, oddly, made the least sense to me of all of this, since there was no way I could sleep through all these reactions I was experiencing.

After what seemed like hours, it was over. A moment later, I had a sudden and immediate need to empty my bladder. I asked if it was safe to leave my tent, and was told that it was, but I needed to be very careful where I went, and do not, do not, do NOT go on the side where the rustling was coming from. That suited me just fine, so I unzipped the door, stepped into my sandals, and walked a little ways away. When I asked if the spot I chose was okay, I got a bit of a chuckling answer that it was fine.

When I was done, I didn't want to go back into my tent right away. Instead, I took the little path out of my tree cave, so I could look at the stars. The sky was perfectly clear, and there was a quality to the stars against that flat midnight panorama I can't really describe, but had never seen anything like before. I was dumbstruck, and stared up for a long time. When I had drunk my fill of that beauty, I turned to go back to my tent, then froze. There was no moon, but enough starlight for me to see quite clearly, and I could see someone standing just next to the trail, at the entrance to the tree cave. He was about 3 feet tall, with a head almost as wide as his shoulders, standing with his feet planted and arms crossed over his chest, staring straight ahead. He looked as solid and unmoving as a stone post, and his attitude reminded me of a bouncer at a club, or one of those royal guards specially trained to stand perfectly motionless. I stared and gaped at him, then recovered myself, and said "Aloha. Mahalo nui loa." ("Hello/I love you. Thank you very much.")

He did not look at me or respond in any way, but continued to stand there like a silent sentry. Then, as I watched, he dissolved, like fine motionless snow on a tv screen, and disappeared.

Completely overwhelmed, I staggered the last few feet back to my tent, got the door open again, and stumbled in. Once inside the door, then standing inside, and finally sitting on my bed, I said aloud to myself, "I saw him. I saw him. I really saw him." At that point, I simply needed to reassure myself. Eventually, I got back to sleep, listening to animal noises as I tried to relax. Something apparently had agitated the neighboring dogs. I've never heard them all barking like that so late, and it did not sound at all like the voices I had heard before.

Waking up this morning felt like uncovering myself after being buried alive. I didn't feel as bad as I expected to, but changed, in a way I'm not sure how to express. At one point today, I worked up the courage to look at the side of my tent where those rustling sounds were being made. Not only were there not any branches close enough to touch the fabric, it looked as if the branches that were on the ground might actually have been pushed back a foot or two. There was a uniformly wide margin between them and the tent wall, that was completely clear.
Back to top Go down
Ishtahar
Admin
Ishtahar

Menehune Empty
PostSubject: Re: Menehune   Menehune EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 1:25 pm

Wow WHAT an experience.

I would guess that it is going to take you some time to process everything you've been shown/given. It's a huge chunk to be digested all in one go.

It is so amazing that the very spirits of the patch of earth on which you walk/live have even acknowledged you, let along imparted this information to you. I'm envious Smile

Hugs... make sure and keep safe
Back to top Go down
Ousa

Ousa

Menehune Empty
PostSubject: Re: Menehune   Menehune EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 2:27 pm

It is time for both you and Ash when she returns to prepare to be visited and accepted by the old one's! Prepare yourselves for a visit to a heiau to cross over! They know who and what you are and the why of it!
We must kindle the light of truth and love once more. There is no more hiding to be done!

Ouza I love you I love you I love you
A hui hou kakou
Back to top Go down
Ari'el
Ari'el

Menehune Empty
PostSubject: Re: Menehune   Menehune EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 3:01 pm

Wow! What an incredible and intense experience! I don't have anything useful to add this this, but thank you somuch for sharing. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://draconic-fire.deviantart.com
Scratch

Scratch

Menehune Empty
PostSubject: Re: Menehune   Menehune EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 11:37 pm

Ouza, the whole reason I'm here is the local powers know me, and want me here. I literally had no choice in the matter, and was not allowed to change my mind when I got scared and tried to decide I wasn't moving after all. When my parents came to visit, our vacation turned into a series of pilgrimages for me, to various heiaus and sacred sites on Hawai'i and Kaua'i. Kamehameha himself gave me a Hawai'ian name when I left an offering at the heiau he built (which raised the energy he needed to unite the islands under his rule), and a kapu was put on me at the City of Refuge, so I can no longer drink alcohol. I won't speak for Ash, but I know there's all kinds of reasons they want her here too.

Ish, um... forgive me if I bray laughter at the thought of anyone being envious of that night. I do appreciate it for the precious gift it was, and is, and know the whole reason they were doing it was for my benefit, but jeez louise. Before giving me that name, Kamehameha said that I am under protection wherever I go on these islands. I see no reason to test that, but really do feel that I am completely safe here. That was part of the reason the Menehune bullying made me want to reach for a gun, because it was such a "hey, wait a minute..." moment. All that stuff they did and gave continuing to cycle is probably why I don't understand what's so different now, yet.

Ari'el, saying thanks for sharing is useful.
Back to top Go down
Ousa

Ousa

Menehune Empty
PostSubject: Re: Menehune   Menehune EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 4:29 am

It is written that the two of you shall bring back all others in the area back from the old times. You both have my total love and respect for you and Ash. Both will also create a new portal into existence one where the enemy cannot go!

Watch the skies for the signs to occur, you will know by feeling the moment it occurs! Have faith and always keep a well founded perspective.

It is all going as planned and have no doubt about it for it is so and their is no failure .

Ouza
A hui hou kakou I love you I love you I love you

Back to top Go down
Azaz'el
Admin
Azaz'el

Menehune Empty
PostSubject: Re: Menehune   Menehune EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 11:35 pm

Wow, what an experience.......... scary and tough........... but an initiation of sorts I feel.

Az

https://fallenshadow.darkbb.com
Scratch

Scratch

Menehune Empty
PostSubject: Re: Menehune   Menehune EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 12:01 am

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Menehune Empty
PostSubject: Re: Menehune   Menehune Empty

Back to top Go down

Menehune