HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

ARCHIVE: Ancient Texts, Which texts hold meaning? Which don't?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Archive

ARCHIVE: Ancient Texts, Which texts hold meaning? Which don't? Empty
PostSubject: ARCHIVE: Ancient Texts, Which texts hold meaning? Which don't?   ARCHIVE: Ancient Texts, Which texts hold meaning? Which don't? EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 11:19 am

By Dreamsend Nov 9 2007 -

Which ancient texts do you believe to hold fragments of truth (or the whole truth), and why? To me, the majority of texts over 1000 years old can be considered to have at least some clue to figuring out the truth, if not actual pieces of the truth itself.

The texts from the Near/Middle East in particular have significance to me, though I am not an active believer in the modern faiths they dictate. I feel as if clues to the past/my past are layered in their pages.

By Azaz'el Nov 9 2007 -

I think that you are right in your thoughts about texts over 1000 years old having some truth or route to the truth held within them. From that far in the past there tends to be the inclination to want to put forward any truth or understanding that existed, even if in code, so that information was passed on from generation to generation.

More modern times have seen the clamping down on certain truths, mainly by the christian church, but that's usually only because they held the power in the countries that had much of the original knowledge. Then with the move from teleology into the age of enlightenment (how could they have got that word so wrong!) science ruled and we were left with the bards and poets and writers to try and hold on to teachings and knowledge to pass what existed down to the next generation.

The near/middle east does have an importance as it was from those lands that culture and civilisation spread. From my own point of view it was also in those lands that the largest Shadow enclave existed and there that I met my death. As the other Shadow who had agreed with us Grigori who wanted human ascention but didn't practise it, fled to other lands for their lives, so our story spread and so it became woven into the ancient texts and cultures of these lands. Just look at how closely the Grigori match the concept of the Tuatha de Denann.

Anyway, I feel that some of what was the original Apocrypha and the Book of Enoch have some relevance and truths, as well as many of the apocryphal and gnostic texts such as the Book of Jubilees, the Book of Daniel, the Pistus Sophia. But there are also hidden links to be found for those with eyes that see in the ancient British stories complied in the Mabinogion, the Red Book of Hengest, the Black Book of Carmarthen and the Tales of the Goddodin.

These are some of the ones that I find to be relevant? What others are there?

Az

By Lael Dec 4 2007 -

Almost none, if you take them at face value. Most of them, if you read between the lines of political play, interpretation and wish-fulfillment.

Back to top Go down
Ashtart

Ashtart

ARCHIVE: Ancient Texts, Which texts hold meaning? Which don't? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ARCHIVE: Ancient Texts, Which texts hold meaning? Which don't?   ARCHIVE: Ancient Texts, Which texts hold meaning? Which don't? EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 12:54 pm

(reading old posts cos it gives me something to do) I'd say also the Indian epics... I forget their names right now at 3am... and some of the ancient texts of many other cultures.

You know, it's really spooky/cool how common themes catch on from continent to continent. Like dragons and sky people. Common in like every ancient culture! WTF

The Kumulipo (Hawaiian creation chant) is AMAZING. It basically describes the beginnings of life as modern science understands it. Like life that came out of the seas starting as primordial ooze and all that.
Back to top Go down

ARCHIVE: Ancient Texts, Which texts hold meaning? Which don't?
Page 1 of 1